Sensitization in the EAC Partner States by Members of the East African Legislative Assembly (EALA)
East African Legislative Assembly, Arusha, Tanzania: April 05, 2016: The East African Legislative Assembly has embarked on a sensitisation and outreach drive in all the five Partner States of the East African Community.
The theme of the activity is; “EAC Integration Agenda: Accessing the gains”. This came after a rallying call by the EAC Heads of States, for EALA Members to go out and sensitise East African on the integration process, and its benefits. It was noted that citizens were still not averse with the integration issues or the milestones so far realized.
The activity will focus on the following objectives:
- Sensitization of the EAC citizens on the overall integration process;
- Promote liaison with EAC Parliaments and key stakeholders;
- Promote integration with the Civil Society and the private sector;
- Enhance the mutual relationships and sustainable networking between EALA and EAC populace; and,
- Informing the EAC populace on the role of EALA in the integration process.
The activity will be undertaken in two phases. The first phase will take place in April 2016 while the next is scheduled for June 2016. These are some of the steps being undertaken by EALA targeting the Political Class.
The key targeted stakeholders for the first phase are;
- institutions of learning,
- the media,
- the private sector; and
- Parliaments, etc.
The first phase of the activity will be limited to the respective cities of the EAC Partner States and nearby geographical locations.